Go to content

Undergraduate Catalog 2016-2017


The mark of 'I' is an exceptional mark that is an instructor option. It is given only to a student whose work in a course has been qualitatively satisfactory, when, because of illness or other circumstances beyond the student's control, he or she has been unable to complete some small portion of the work of the course. In no case will the mark 'I' be recorded for a student who has not completed the major portion of the work of the course.

1. This Incomplete Contract form must be submitted to the dean of the college offering the course within six weeks after the grade submission deadline (if a grade hasn't already been submitted). If any Incomplete Contract isn't completed within the six week period, the instructor will convert the 'I' to the appropriate grade.

2. The student will remove the 'I' by completing work assigned by the instructor; it is the student's responsibility to request arrangements for the completion of the work. The work must be completed by the time stipulated in the contract, usually by the end of the next semester, but in any event, no later than one year. If the remaining work for the course as defined by the contract is not completed on schedule, the instructor will convert the 'I' to the grade indicated by the contract.

3. Exceptions to the stated deadline may be granted by the student's dean (in negotiation with the faculty member or the faculty member's dean) upon the written request of the student if circumstances warrant further delay.

4. If the instructor is unavailable, the department chair, upon request of the student will make appropriate arrangements for the student to complete the course requirements.

5. It is the responsibility of the instructor or department chair concerned to submit the grade promptly upon completion of the conditions of the Incomplete Contract.

6. The 'I' cannot be removed through re-registration for the course or through credit by examination. An 'I' mark is not used in the computation of quality points or cumulative grade point averages.

Return to top