Go to content

Undergraduate Catalog 2016-2017

Russian Studies

School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures

The Minor in Russian Studies is a series of five courses to be chosen in consultation with the departmental advisor. The completion of a Minor in Russian Studies provides students with a broad background in Russian language, literature, and culture.

A minimum of fifteen credits/five courses* is required, to be chosen from among the following: 

Courses taught in Russian:
RUSS201, 202, 210, 211, 301, 302, 303, 307, 321, 322, 381, 382, 401, 402,403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 409, 410, 411, 412, 431, 432, 433, 434, 473

Courses in English:
RUSS221, 222, 281, 282, 298, 327, 328, 329, 398, 439

Courses in SLAVIC may also be counted toward the Russian Studies Minor: SLAV469, 475, 479

Prerequisites for the minor: RUSS102 (Elementary Russian) or the equivalent as determined by the department

*Note that in most cases, five courses of 3-credits each will fulfill the 15-credit requirement. However, RUSS201 and 202 are 5 credit courses. If a student chooses to count these two courses as part of the minor, they are still required to complete three additional courses (for a total of five courses).

  • Courses taken through Study Abroad programs may be applied.
  • A minimum of six credits must be earned from courses in Russian.
  • A minimum of nine credits must be at the 300- or 400-level.
  • Transfer credits (from study abroad or another US institution) may count toward the minor with approval of the department. In most cases, a maximum of six transfer credits will be approved.
  • All courses counting toward the minor must be passed with a "C-" or better.
  • An overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor is required for graduation.
  • Substitutions of other departmental offerings may be approved by the advisor.

Oversight of the minor program will be through the normal academic processes of the Russian program in the School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures. The Undergraduate Advisor will be responsible for ensuring that students are properly advised and that records are appropriately kept. 

To make an appointment or declare a minor, go to:  www.arhu.umd.edu/undergraduate/academics/minors

Return to top